This position is funded by the Canada Summer Job program from the Ministry of Employment of Social Development Canada and to be eligible, paid participants must:
· be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*;
· be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
· have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Cowichan Recyclists is a bike based small business operating in the Cowichan Valley, BC. We are looking for someone who loves biking and being a community leader in the realm of environmental stewardship.
The position being offered will help with our recycling and organics pick up services which we do by bike and custom-made bike trailers. Staff will be trained to pick up from a list of regular scheduled customers within the Duncan area. The work also includes sorting recycling in our shed into over 12 categories, dropping materials off at the depot and cleaning bins, equipment and our shed. Furthermore, the position will assist Cowichan Recyclists with improving operation efficiencies and conducting outreach and research for business expansion.
May 25th is the current start date but can be negotiable. The wage is $17/hr and is covered in part by the Canada Summer Job grant that will run until the end of August 2021. There is potential for further employment after the end of August 2021.
Applicants also need to:
- be fit & able to lift up to 50 lbs safely
- have experience being in the outdoors
- have experience biking in traffic safely and know the rules of the road
- be prepared to promote the legitimacy of cycling by being courteous and safe on the roads
- be able to assess the risks of when and where to ride through and next to traffic with our 8 foot long bike trailers
- have a cell phone that can be used for texting staff and managers
- have a bike helmet
Please email resume & cover letter by May 14th to: firstname.lastname@example.org